Sunday, November 15, 2009

How am I doing?

We had Stake conference this week and one of President Labrum's signature statements is "Ask yourself - How am I doing?". As a result I have been contemplating where I am in my life and what I need to do differently.

A few things I have been successful with are:

1) Food storage (now I just have to figure out where else to store it)

2) Self reliance in the form of canning


3) Finding ways to feed my shopping obsession. I have been watching things I want to get for Ali and actually waiting until they go on sale. A couple of weeks ago I sent Anthony to an early morning shopping trip and he saved 50% on everything, then I went and did a price adjustment and saved another $27 bucks...woohoo! Two recent buys that I am obsessed with are these awesome boots for Alexandra and this knit hat for me.4) Smiling more and being goofy. Alexandra loves when I make funny faces.5) Doing activities with Alexandra. We has so much fun making these Oreo turkeys.6) Finding new ways to bribe Alexandra. I really wanted to get a cute picture of her today and this was her initial response.So, while at Anthony's parents house she asked to watch a movie and I told her that we would put it on after I got a good picture of her. About 20 minutes later she came up to me and said "Take a picture mom" and I got these two...booya!
She looks so different in this picture but I can't figure out what it is about her.
7) Moving beyond this overwhelming sense of inadequacy. The past few months I have been really down but I have found that by being honest with others and myself I can shed that depressive funk. It feels so great!
There are many thanks that I am not so successful at right now but here are a few that I am really going to focus on.
1) Being more patient with Anthony and Alexandra.
2) Playing more with Alexandra and enjoying her and the phase she is in.
3) Putting the Lord first in my life. I am always making my mile long To Do Lists and Lord needs to be a priority. I am going to do better on this.
I am going to focus on these and read the Book of Mormon from start to finish over the next 6 months (as challenged by President Labrum). I know that these self evaluations are so important because they help us recognize that there are good things we are doing but we do have places to improve. I am very grateful for the gospel and for my family, especially my wonderful husband.
Here are some cute pictures of my Boo Boo.
She's still sleeping on the couch and hauling everything from her bed with her.
Here is Alexandra sporting her Cubs gear.
My mom sent Ali this beautiful dress and she calls it her ladybug dress. Anthony lets her wear it any day of the week. Aren't dad's great?

The top picture is Ali's first bath and the bottom is one from last week. I can not believe how huge she is! You just don't recognize the small changes until you compare where they were to where they are now.
Alexandra is learning the art of "licking the spoon"...mmmmmm!!!
Her friends wanted to join the bubble bath.
Here are the videos that wouldn't load last time...enjoy!

6 comments:

The Paredes Family said...

Thanks for keeping me updated on you guys! You are so good at posting pictures, and I love them. I just wanted you to know that I'm thinking about you and think that you're pretty amazing (and way too hard on yourself);) Hugs!

rabnerfamily said...

Self Evaluation is something I don't always enjoy because I have to be honest with myself. I admire your insights and perspective. Ali is so cute!

Wendi said...

You are doing amazing, and you are an example to me. It was fun tonight. I'm glad you guys could come over!

Brady and Lindsay Wood said...

I think Ali looks so different in that picture because she is smiling like you - without showing her teeth.
Way to go sister on working on your food storage. My problem is I like to spend too much $$ that I shouldn't always on working on that... oops.
Way to spend more fun time with Ali I think ya'll both need that.

Travis and Heather said...

I love your pantry! That could feed a few families for months! You guys are so wonderful!

Adamson Family said...

Great post. Even better pictures. I think I need to take even more pictures of Jonas and Liv. You caputure so much.