Sunday, May 13, 2012

What its all about...

Happy Mother's Day to all of the amazing women out there!  I must admit that I used to loath, yes, loath Mother's Day.
I used to think that it was the day for me to sit back, relax and let my wonderful husband take care of all of my normal duties (ie the cooking, cleaning and kid duty).  Then something hit me on Friday as I was fretting about whether or not Anthony would be here today or working.  I was so worried about dinner - what on earth would I cook for Anthony's family? - but I didn't want to cook because it would be Mother's Day for heavens sake.  The answer...pizza!  So I stopped by Sam's Club yesterday and picked up 3 pizzas, garlic bread and soda.  Victory!  I actually simplified.  The next victory took place around 10 pm when I was still working on projects and Anthony was still making his way home.  I was fretting (again) about cleaning my floors.  The plan was to sweep, mop and vacuum but we were both tired.  I decided that no one would care if my floor wasn't mopped (except for me) so we didn't do it.  I know it sounds so small, but it felt so big. 
 
This morning Anthony got up with the girls and let me sleep in.  After Sophi's diaper change she ran into my room  and crawled into bed with me.  We enjoyed a little snuggle before she bolted downstairs.  Alexandra then came upstairs with a wonderful card and a huge smile.  She then went to her room and gathered all of the stuffed *things* from her bed and brought them to my bed.  We all played dragon and laughed.
It hit me at that moment that THIS is what Mother's Day is really about.  It is about enjoying my girls and doing all of the things I would love to do if I didn't have to worry about all of my chores.
I have been thinking about this all day long - about the true meaning of Mother's Day.  I have finally come to understand that it is about loving, nurturing, spending time, enjoying, laughing and accepting our children and our families.
 
The sweet babies are my life and I adore their smiles.
I adore the love the have for each other.
I love watching them learn and grow and become amazing little girls.
I am trying so hard to enjoy my journey as a mother.  I am trying to be grateful each day because we are truly blessed.  Even though the days can be long and tiring, I know that being a mother and being home with these special little muffets is the best thing in the world.
 
As I was looking at recent pictures it hit me that I spend the majority of my time doing things with or for my children (like 14 hours making Ali's birthday cake - with the help of Wendi and Heather...thanks!)
 We ride bikes and play at the park.
And do hair, lots of hair (this was Ali's crazy hair day request, thanks to a Fancy Nancy book)!
 I also quiet fits, stop fights, clean up messes (lots of messes), clean house, do the laundry, cook meals, grocery shop, try to run a primary, nurture my hubby, exercise, run Ali to her activities, serve and you know, the million other things moms do.
 It is hard for me, really, really hard.  I want to give up most days and will admit to repeating "I can't do this!" over  and over again.  But when looking at the sweet moments captured on my camera I am reminded of the countless things I have to be grateful for. 
 My heart has been changed about Mother's Day.  I am so grateful to have learned the true meaning of this incredible day.  I love my mother!  I am grateful for all that she sacrificed to raise me.  I love my mother in law.  I love my sisters (all3!) and am grateful for their examples.  They are all wonderful mothers who inspire me.
So next time you wonder why you thought you could hack it as a mom...think of this picture...that Sophi always puts a smile on my face!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

SWEET photos!!! So glad you enjoyed this Mother's Day!

You mentioned trying to "run a Primary"....does that mean you are Primary President?? WOW, that's an incredible job!

~Connie

Brady and Lindsay Wood said...

I am so happy that you found joy in Mothers day. Your girls are sweeties and I love that Soph-a-loaf she is so sweet in the video. And AMAZING cake! I have been waiting to see it. So great!!! You will have to help me come up with a good idea for Ryker's.

rabnerfamily said...

Such cute girls and a beautifully written insight into motherhood. You do a fabulous job at everything you do.

Bethany, Scott, and family said...

What a wonderful post!! Thank you for sharing this!! I was feeling that same way on mother's day this year too!! You are such a great mommy :-)