Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Survival Part 2

Holy snow! Yes, I lived in Utah for a substantial amount of time, but I never experienced snow and cold weather like northern Illinois. I ran a few errands this morning and of course, it was snowing. By the time I returned home a combination of the plows and additional snow made it difficult to get back into the driveway. So, I decided to brave the weather and clear the entire driveway (as only a small path had been cleared of the earlier snow). I knew Alexandra wouldn't last, so I put a movie on and set out a cup of milk and a piece of bread for her.

I started by shoveling the 1/2 of the driveway that had been previously cleared and made my way to the street. When I got to the intersection with the road I really began to struggle. Thankfully, one of their neighbors came by with a snow blower and asked if I needed help. To my surprise I actually said yes (I usually say no, even if I am in desperate need of it). So, he worked on the crusty stuff at the end of the driveway and I started on the deep 1/2. Between the 2 of us it was finished within an hour and I was so grateful (it was up to my knees in places).

Once I was done I headed back in. I started laughing the moment I walked in. Alexandra decided that she wanted Fruit Loops. So, she got the box out of the grocery sack on the table and ripped the box and bag open. She helped herself to a great treat. When I asked her to pick up her mess she even tried putting the ripped box back together. She is so smart and cute, I couldn't be upset, I was simply impressed.

To thank the kind neighbor I attempted fudge again tonight and it actually turned out really well. I will take him a plateful tomorrow.

This is where the cereal came from.

This is where it was when I came in. Ali was so sweet to try to fix the box.

No comments: