I learned something new tonight and I am grateful that the Spirit works at pace that I can keep up with because I can be rather slow at times. For about a week I have been thinking about why we, as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, focus so much time and effort on reaching out to those members of our wards who are not active.
I thought about this in contrast to other churches because I have never heard of fellowshipping in other religions. It then occurred to me that as with so many other experiences in life it is the process, not what we may perceive as the goal, that truly matters.
I thought about what goes into reaching out to others. It requires first of all for one to notice and care about the absence. Next, we express that we miss them. Then, we work to remind them of the ways coming to church enhances their lives and the way the guidance and love of the Savior can positively affect them. It then hit me that while doing this for the benefit of those we are reaching out to, we are reiterating these things to ourselves. Thereby, strengthening our own testimonies of these sweet and simple truths.
While the Savior does wish for all of us to come unto Him, I believe that as we seek to share His love with others, our love for the Savior is increased. As we express our testimonies to others our testimonies are naturally strengthened. As we think about, pray and serve others we begin to love them. When done properly, the end result of fellowshipping is a more Christlike nature for the person reaching out and hopefully a seed of desire to come into the fold of the Savior within the person being fellowshipped.
We become more like the Savior because it is He who brings us unto the Lord and when we are on His errand, we (through the Spirit) can bring others unto Him.
I have felt over and over again throughout the past month that we simply need to love each other more. We need not blame those who are struggling and increase their heartache by making them feel weaker than they already feel. We MUST SHOW them that we care about them and that we do not judge them. We must go out of our way to help them feel comfortable and wanted. The Savior has done all of this and more for us. The atonement is limitless as long as we are truly repentant. He does not say "nope, sorry - you should have toughened up and learned your lesson the first 5 times, you have used all of your chances". He continues to love us, cheer us on and teach us through our mistakes.
I am learning that I must look at every situation as an opportunity to become more like my Savior. After "learning" these truths the hard part is the implementation of them in my life. I am working each day to do a little better. I know that as we seek to serve and help others we are blessed to have our hearts and minds opened to their needs. We then just need to act - that's the hard part. It is my prayer that collectively we can see others as the Savior does and show more love one toward another.
2 comments:
Thanks so much for fellowshipping all these wonderful people! They need you....and as you pointed out: well need each other.
You are my big sister for a very good reason.... you are always a great example to me and help remind me of what I need to work on. Thanks and I love you to pieces!!1
Post a Comment