I hit the ground running the moment we drove up our house and have not fully unpacked yet. Needless to say my house looks like a family of 4 truly does live here. Yesterday I was in the homes of two different friends. Immediately after welcoming me to their homes, each woman then apologized for the state of her home. Explaining at great length why it was "so messy". I laughed a bit to myself because that was the reason I didn't want anyone at my house yesterday.
This is exactly what I do if anyone comes to my home and it is not 100% picked up or clean. I have been thinking a lot about why we do this. Why do we feel that we need to explain why we have toys out, why we have dishes in the sink or markers and coloring books on the table, bills all over the counter or slightly used diapers on the floor (yes, that is the state of my home at this very moment!). For me it points to a deeper rooted issue and that is my inability to accept myself for who I am. I think many women feel the need to be someone different on the outside or when others are watching. We don't mind living each day in a well used (ie 'messy') home. We only stress about it when others will see our lives and the lives of our children in progress.
I really don't care if someone's home is messy when I go over, why do I think people really care if my home is messy when they are here? What is it that we are trying to prove or what do we think the state of our homes says about us?
As I was contemplating this this morning the words of hymn came to my mind.
There is beauty all around
When there's love at home;
There is joy in ev'ry sound
When there's love at home.
Peace and plenty here abide,
Smiling sweet on ev'ry side.
Time doth softly, sweetly glide
When there's love at home.
This reminded me of what is truly important about our homes. It is not how neat and clean they are, but how much love is felt within it.
No comments:
Post a Comment