Wednesday, August 10, 2011

What would the world be like...

If we were all incredible (even just a little bit) each day?  I, like all of you, have been told on occasion that I am incredible because of something I have done.  Most of what I do doesn't seem like a huge deal to me because I am already doing it and just expand it to encompass others.  And so, as I was doing dishes tonight the thought occurred to me "what would the world be like if we all did these little incredible things all of the time?".  I am convinced that it wouldn't take much effort to be incredible for someone else each day.

I think we would be shocked to know what a small act would mean to those within our realm.  Have you ever had a stranger hold a door for you, let you go in front of them in line because your kids are screaming, offer you an extra coupon, smile or not get upset when make a mistake?  It really makes my day when someone I don't know notices me and is thoughtful of my needs or simply wants to be kind.  If we strive to do these small things for strangers, what would it mean to those we know if we would open our eyes and our hearts?

I have been thinking about this concept a lot lately but not necessarily in these terms.  I was so thrilled when it finally clicked that we ALL need to be a little incredible each day.  Is this a scary thought - YES!  Does it seem overwhelming - YES!  Is it possible to change the world by doing so - YES!  I think that helping those around us is worth every ounce of effort we put into it.  I find immense joy in knowing that I have lightened the burden of another in some small way. 

If I can spread joy and find joy through small, thoughtful acts, my life will mean just a bit more.  I hope and pray that I can find others who are willing to open their eyes and their hearts.  I hope that occasionally I can be the recipient of such acts.  Knowing  that others think and care about you is one of the best feelings in the world.  Whether it be taking Ali to the park, playing peek-a-boo with Sophi or baking yummies for a friend or neighbor, I hope that I will always act upon those little nudges that constantly tug at my heart (even when it is inconvenient).  I hope that I will always be willing to drop whatever I may have on my schedule to be there for another.  I hope that I will be better at recognizing the unasked for needs and giving the much needed hugs and love.  I hope that I will never deny another person of my ability to incredible for them and thereby be incredible for myself.  I hope that I will be understanding that not everyone sees the world as I do and just because they don't do what I do, doesn't meant they don't care.
But what a blissful thought of a world filled with incredible people, doing incredible things.

1 comment:

Butler Family said...

what an amazing post. thanks for sharing