Thursday, January 27, 2011

My cooking obsession

I have always enjoyed cooking, but lately it has been my favorite escape.  I have an America's Test Kitchen cookbook that I picked up last year and decided that I was going to try a bunch of new recipes from it.  I tried 8 new recipes over the past few weeks and these were my favorites.  These are much more intense than the usual recipes I use, but it was fun to stretch myself a bit and try something new.  You should try them - I promise you won't regret it!
Anthony loves pumpkin pie so I thought I would try this one.  It was extremely creamy and I really liked the fresh ginger.  I used this crust recipe but omitted the vodka and it worked well.
I split this into two casserole dishes because it is the BEST when it is right out of the oven.  So I cooked one dish one day and the other a few days later.
Anthony LOVES BBQ wings and does not tolerate spicy food very well.  So, I modified this recipe to fit out needs.  I substituted the hot sauce with BBQ sauce and honey to make Anthony's wings and it worked out perfectly.  I really liked the hot wings though :)  The blue cheese is a MUST.  We both loved it.
These were totally amazing!  I ended up with over 5 cups of sauce (maybe because I did it in my blender and didn't leave chunks - oops!) So I made up a dozen enchiladas and still have enough filling and sauce to do a second pan tonight.  If you have a sour cream lover in your house like I do - warning - don't over do it with these.  The sour cream is a great accent but too much will kill the freshness.  I couldn't find scallions so I garnished with the white ends of green onions and they are a must.

4 comments:

rabnerfamily said...

I love trying new recipes. In fact I found a few online last night at work I am looking forward to trying. I just may have to give these a try too.

The Paredes Family said...

A woman after my very own heart! I LOVE ATK recipes - it's just nice to know that the recipe has already been reworked to get the kinks out before I use it on the fam! I just borrowed their Healthy Family Cookbook from the library last week. And I am working my way through it, lower calorie count and still manages to be amazing.

Brady and Lindsay Wood said...

You are so much better than me with cooking. I need to get back into a good cooking groove. Way to go sissy.

Megan said...

ohhhhh!!! i love new recipes. thanks bunches for these. i'll get going on them. i actually have a pumpkin sitting on my counter that i need to cook down and make something with it. pumpkin pie, here we come! glad i've ignored it for so long.

you are a fabulous cook. i have to tell you that every time i scoop a cup of flour, i think of you. silly right? i always remember when we were baking something together and i scooped up the flour and you fussed at me for leveling it by shaking off the excess flour instead of swiping it off with a knife. you make me smile!

love you, miss you! let's skype sunday!!!!