Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Nana Rabner

I am my mother's daughter - ask my dad, ask my husband, ask my sisters - it is true!  I am grateful to have such an amazing woman to be my role model and one who has teaches me to be a better person and a better mother.
I am extremely grateful for my mom's desire to spend time with me and my family.  Ever since we moved far away my mom has done everything she can to visit.  I will admit, it is mostly because I am ridiculously needy and she knows that for my sake, she better be here. 
One of Ali's favorite things to do when Nana comes is read books.  We always go to the library and bookstore and stockpile good reads.  This last trip Nana even went to Ali's preschool class as the guest reader.  It was so much fun!
 In true Rabner form we braved the crowds at the Shedd on a free day.
 The hour long wait to get in nearly did Ali in.
 But once we were in the acquirium it was all smiles.  My mom took us to every musuem within driving distance when we were kids.  I loved going, doing and seeing so many things as kid.  I am trying to do the same for my girls but I don't think I can keep pace with anything mom did!

 We saw the beluga whale and dolphin show and it was so great. 
 These were my mom's favorite fish.  They have these crazy bumps on their foreheads.
 And this turtle was my favorite.
I sometimes feel like my mom set the bar so high as a mother and I will never be so great.  But she has taught me that I just need to do the best I can and always keep my kids first.  When I do those things everything else falls into place.  I appreciate that my mom has always emphasised the importnace of getting an education and working hard.  She never let us skate by in life.  I remember hearing over and over again, you are smart enough to do anything, you just need to work hard.  While sometimes it felt as though she was never pleased with my efforts, I recognize now that she loves me so much and wants everything in the world for me.  She never wanted me to settle for less than what I was capable of obtaining simply because I was being lazy. 
A few of my favorite "crazies" that I have inherited from my mom are - never serve out of the dish you prepared in, always set the table and have a table cloth when company comes, always have your house spic and span when company comes over, if you are going to do something - go all out, do everything you can to help others, work hard and be the best at everything you do.
While I often laugh at myself when doing some of these I also know the source of the tendency.  This allows me to recognize the amazing example I have in a mother.  I hope she knows how much I love her.  I hope she knows how grateful I am for all that she does for me and my girls (especially their wardrobes!).  I hope you all have a mother you can look up to like me!

2 comments:

Megan said...

mom is the best. well put. you are so lucky to her so "close!" love you!!! you probably do more things like her than i do.

Brady and Lindsay Wood said...

so true so true. mom is pretty much amazing and i hope i can be a great mom like her and be so active with my kids like her. those are the best memories. this summer is going to be sooooo much fun!