Thursday, March 24, 2011

Recipe Thursday (almost Friday!)

I was planning on posting something different today (info on our fundraiser for Japan) but seeing as I am having trouble uploading the info that I need, I will improvise.  I know, this is something totally out of character for me - improvising that is - I am usually so bull headed that I keep at things until I figure them out.  I think I am just too tired tonight! Today's recipe is one that I literally, just an hour ago, created.  I know you are thinking I am some kind of kitchen goddess (which I try to convince my husband of) but the reality is that I was trying to figure out a shortcut because I am running out of time!
We have the ward cook off tomorrow that I previously declared I would not be participating in.  Ha, that didn't last long.  As a testament to my true competitive nature I caved and decided to join in the fun.  The recipe that I am making calls for cooked chicken.  Its a recipe from my fav site - ourbestbites.com - and they gag at the thought of boiled chicken.  They recommend rotisserie chicken or their fauxtisserie chicken whenever a recipe calls for cooked chicken. 
My car has been in the shop for 2 days and I didn't make it to Sams to pick up a rotisserie chicken and didn't have time to make the faux kind.  So, I decided to do the unthinkable and boil my chicken but with a twist.  I put just a bit of water in the bottom of a small sauce pan (I only had 1 chicken breast) with the chicken, 1 bouillon cube and seasonings.  I did not measure anything, I usually don't unless I am following someone else's recipe.  I threw in a bit of ground thyme, some marjoram and a bit of basil.  I then turned the the burner on and let it simmer for about 30 minutes.  The water ran out so I added some more about 1/2 way through. 
Boy oh boy, it turned out so tasty!  It is flavorful and moist and will hopefully bring the golden ladle home for me!  Next time you need cooked chicken try this out.

No comments: