About 6 weeks ago my sister sent me the link to (http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2011/01/15/feminist_obsessed_with_mormon_blogs) an article where a self proclaimed feminist, atheist talks about her obsession with Mormon mommy blogs. Ever since reading this article I have contemplated the purpose of my blog and what it portrays to those (few as it may be!) who read it. The author of the article was struck by the seemingly perfect lives of the women she read about. She was shocked by their love for their lives and situations. She wonders why they are so alluring and came up with an interesting observation "the basic messages expressed in these blogs -- family is wonderful, life is meant to be enjoyed, celebrate the small things -- are still lovely".
With this percolating in my mind I have decided to start a 30 day project. I am going to blog every single day for the next month with the focus being on finding the good and wonderful things in my life and the world around me. I like to stay busy and accomplish things but I am not easily motivated without commitments. I loved all of the ample opportunities that I had to write in college. It felt so good to think, compare and express my ideas. I can not wait to share what is on my mind, silly as it may be sometimes.
My goal is to change my life in a big way over the next month. My sister told me yesterday that she is just now realizing the impact of being a stay at home mom and the importance of looking at it as a real job. When I worked full time I tried to make sure that I gave my all every single day. I did not want to feel that I was cheating my employer. I must have that same attitude with my girls and my home. It is so easy to push things off when you have all the time in the world.
Ali has regressed a bit with potty training so I put together a sticker chart and let her pick out a big prize that she can open once she fills it. (Funny side note is that she doesn't put the stickers on, even when I remind her - I think it may take 6 months for her to earn those Ponies in the box that she carries around all day and stares at!) So, I am going to make a "sticker" chart for myself. I am too cheap to actually buy stickers to put on it though, so I suppose I will just make a smiley face or simply "x" the box when it is complete! I am going to assign tasks to myself for each day and each week. Once I do them, I get my lovely little smiley. When I fill my chart I will get a prize....something really good that I haven't decided on and probably shouldn't tell my husband about until I have purchased it, taken the tags off and thrown away the receipt.
Blogging will be my source of accountability as I work to become a better woman. Yes, I'm a Mormon mommy blogger and I hope that like others, I will aptly portray the great love I have for my family, my life, my Father in Heaven and all that comes with this crazy adventure.
3 comments:
I'm looking forward to reading your posts! You're an inspiration to me Kels! A sticker chart for myself... I've not thought of that before...
I LOVED reading your blog before and I am going to LOVE it just as much now. You have the perfect way of saying things just in the way I need to hear it
I love this idea. BUT I do think you deserve a real sticker - go to the dollar store and buy a sheet it will be pretty and make you feel better when you look at it. Good luck :)
Post a Comment